I was in Los Angeles last month for a few days and had a wonderful time seeing my husband’s family and playing tourist to many sites and activities. One of my highlights was meeting Leah Adler and getting to spend some fun time schmoozing with her.
Who is Leah Adler, you ask? She is Steven Spielberg’s mother who owns a restaurant called, Milky Way. She is also a real hoot – a most surprising 91 year old woman with vim, vigor and enthusiasm like you don’t often see in people, let alone someone that age. Obviously she’s chronologically old, but childlike in essence.
I want to be like her (if) when I grow up to be her age.
She had pictures of herself with her family on display in amusing poses – hanging upside down, pinching Steven’s nose.
She went around sitting with each group of people at their tables talking and taking a real interest in everyone. I also got a chance to speak to her one-on-one for quite a while where I learned she was a social worker way back when in Ohio.
But back to being childlike. What is that childlike essence that radiated from Ms. Adler and was so appealing?
It’s a sense of joy, wonder, excitement, curiosity, glee that emanates. It’s the ability to be real and playful without worrying how you’re coming across. It’s an openness, an honesty and vulnerability to the unknown. Everything is like a treat.
How can we develop a childlike or playful spirit?
Let’s start by Doing some playful things. Here are 10 suggestions. Warning: may require giving up some of those inhibitions.
- Go down that fun-looking slide in the playground (even without a child).
- Jump in a pile of leaves.
- Lay down in the snow for a snow angel.
- Jump in a puddle.
- Catch the raindrops or snowflakes in your mouth.
- Wave to the person in the car next you at a red light (unless of course he’s picking his nose, we don’t want to embarrass him now do we).
- Roll down that beautiful grassy hill.
- Dress up and go to a nursing home/assisted living and talk with the residents. Bring music along and start dancing. Some will join you.
- Start a collection of something you love.
- Engage in conversation with strangers. People can be surprisingly open.
Oh and here’s my other highlight of my trip to LA – I found a store off of Rodeo Drive that sold giraffe TV’s (and many other animals built around the TV). And it wasn’t even expensive. So here’s to my playful and very fun collection of giraffes!
Let’s lighten our load and engage in something playful today.
Thank you for stopping by. Please spread the Playful word. And leave your playful tips.